Donorbox

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Adventuring in Semi-Solids: Sweet Potatoes

Years before we even thought about babies, I knew I was going to make my children's baby food. I've done a lot of research on making and pureeing baby's first foods, and so far it couldn't be simpler. With the exception of cereals and yogurt, I plan on making all her food for as long as possible. 

I wanted to make her food for all the same reasons other moms choose to make baby food: it's easy to do, no preservatives or weird chemicals, I know exactly what's going in there, blah blah blah. I've also found that it's much, much cheaper than buying jarred food. For example, a few weeks ago I bought sweet potatoes for $1.50/lb. I was able to get 10 servings out of that, and that works out to about $.15 a serving. The other day I made a huge batch of pureed peas and that worked out to approximately NINE CENTS a serving. Since I'm cheap....sign me up!

Sweet potatoes have joined the ranks of rice cereal as one of Hannah's favorite foods. I used a little rice cereal to thicken up some soupy sweet potatoes and oh man....I'm pretty sure rice cereal & sweet potatoes have officially trumped my boobs. Baby done been happy! A note to future parents everywhere: if you ever want to laugh--a lot--give your baby the spoon and watch him or her lick it dry. Observe the following:










No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. For serious.