Donorbox

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I love everything about it--especially the candy. My dad was a Chicago cop when I was growing up, and 364 days a year we were warned to stay away from strangers, stay away from people wearing "weird get-ups", and especially to not take candy from strangers. But on Halloween, my parents put me in a costume and sent me on my merry way to meet strangers who dressed strangely and willingly take candy from them! What could be better, right?

I also love Halloween because as a child, it was one night a year where just about anything was possible. The dead came back to earth, witches streaked across the sky, Dracula rang your doorbell, and everything that terrified you beyond the capacity for rational thought was lurking around every corner. I love to be scared, so knowing that there's an entire day devoted to being scared and looking behind you...nothing's better!

Amd now, for your viewing pleasure, me as a witch!


I spend a lot of time thinking about my Halloween costume, and I've already started thinking about next year. I've got a rotating list of ideas already! Anyone know where I can find a flapper dress?

Oh, and this was how I greeted all the trick or treaters at my in-laws' home this weekend! Glorious! I cannot tell you how many wide-eyes I encountered when I opened the door. I will always, always wear a costume to greet my trick or treaters!

Mr. Pumpkin wishes you a Happy Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the flapper idea. My mom made a flapper costume for herself for one of our Girl Scout Halloween parties back in the day. I even wore it to our old church's youth group Halloween party one year. I have NO idea if she still has it. I do think loverslane.com has some, though. (Don't even ask how I know this!)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. For serious.