1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I traveled by myself for the first time, I bought a house, and I snorkeled in the Pacific Ocean.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I didn't really stick with my resolutions, but my goal for the new year is to keep our home "company ready" so I don't have to scramble around to clean up at the last minute, or find excuses for guests to not stop by. My other goal for this year is to travel more, whether by train or car or hitchhiking.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Look around, man! Christina JUST had her baby on the 29th, LOG gave birth in March, Courtney in June, Nikki in August, Katie in January....there's no need for me to have a baby because everyone else is poppin' those kids out like Pez dispensers! It's awesome being an "aunt" to so many cool kids.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Mercifully, no. I'm so, so thankful for that, especially this year.
5. What countries did you visit? None, but we did travel outside the continental U.S., so we were closer to Australia and South Asia than we've ever been in our lives.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? I'd really, really love for us to have a little more money to travel, even to some of the Midwestern states we haven't been to. I'd also love for us to host a few more parties and have friends over more often.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory and why? December 18th, the day we closed on our home!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I guess I'd have to say finally coming to a decision about what I want to do with my life. As far as "we" are concerned, definitely buying our first home and moving in and beginning this next chapter in our life together.
9. What was your biggest failure? I don't know that either of us have any regrets about this year or anything that we consider a failure. If there's something we had to do over, it might be saving a little more money so we can make more improvements on the house or to travel.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Aside from the usual, we were blessed this year because neither of us got sick or injured.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our house! And some super cute pairs of shoes. :-)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Aunt Gail, Mom-in-law, Mary, and Cousin Liz, all who came over and helped us pack. And Graham, for being awesome on all our anniversaries and when I needed some extra support.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? A few people I managed to cut out of my life. Appalled, definitely. Depressed, not so much.
14. Where did most of your money go? Groceries, the house, a new washing machine, dryer, and fridge....so really, right back into us.
15. What did you really, really, really get excited about? Our trip to Hawaii (we spent the first hours of 2009 there, so I think it still counts), buying our first home and hearing our offer had been accepted, getting some new job duties (despite the extra workload). And, my trip to L.A.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? "Donde Esta El Queso De Mi Padre?" by Graham.
17. Compared to this time last year are you:Happier? Definitely. Thinner? Definitely not. Richer? Not financially, but I am in so many other ways.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Travel, reading for pleasure, writing, and walking/running/bike riding.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worry and complain. Life is short, man.
20. How did you spend Christmas? I spent Christmas Eve at Mass and with my husband, and we spent Christmas day with his parents and sister and Post-Christmas with my parents, sister, and extended family.
21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve? At home, with Graham. We saw "The Squeakual" earlier today and we'll eat dinner, nosh on some shrimp, watch the ball drop, and just enjoy being together.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009? I fell in love with Graham almost everyday. I know, I know. Gag you with a spoon and all that crap. But really, he's my best friend and he's constantly surprising me. Mild-mannered Clark Kent on the outside, but when it's just us, he's freaking amazing.
I also fell in love with L.A. and realized why Abi won't ever leave. I fell in love with Descanso Gardens. I fell in love with traveling all over again. And I fell in love with my family, who is incredible. I'm so blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful people.
23. How many one-night stands? Plenty! All with Graham, of course. I'm so lame in my old age.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Glee, Grey's Anatomy, 30 Rock, and SATC.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, I don't really hate people. If I hate, I'm still managing to spend time on people who suck. I'd rather spend that time on positive energy.
26. What was the best book you read? Emma, by Jane Austen (I'm a sucker for the classics), and my Advent devotional/my Bible. Both really helped center me during Advent and helped calm me in the midst of moving mayhem. I really learned to put that trust in God instead of all on my shoulders.
27. What was your biggest musical discovery? Lady Gaga. LOVE her.
28. What did you want and you got? A job where I can write more and be a little more creative. A home. Special memories created with Graham and our family. A dutch oven (a Christmas gift). More charms for my bracelet. A gorgeous necklace from Graham.
29. What did you want and not get? "My way" with the house and the month of November.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? We didn't see that many new movies this year, so I'm gonna say "Up" in the new movie category, and "The Long, Long Trailer" in the favorites and It's-New-T0-Me categories.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old did you turn? I turned 25 and spent the day traveling back and forth between families. It was Mother's Day, so it wasn't "my day" which kinda sucked. Graham knew that I was bothered by it (more than I admit, and that bothers me, too) and rescued my birthday, but all in all it was just an "eh" birthday.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More traveling, more reading, and more time together.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Comfortable.
34. What kept you sane? My trips, my friends, and blogging about food.
35. Which celebrity did you fancy the most? Eh, no one in particular.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? I was more stirred up by rampant ignorance. Liberal doesn't equal baby-killer, my friends....it's possible to be a liberal AND a Christian.
37. Who did you miss? My friends, who are scattered everywhere.
38. Who was the best new person you met? Hmm...probably Frank. He's in ICTC right now (long story for another time) and he djs for all our school events. He's a hoot. We're not friends, but he's an entertaining person to be around.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009: People are meant to live, not simply exist.
40. Quote or Song Lyric that sums up your year: "I've got better things to do than my to-do list, anyway."