Donorbox

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Preparing for the big move

Now that the house is officially ours, we're deep in preparations for moving on Tuesday. Our bathroom is clean, and the weird drawer liners have been thrown in the trash. The house also smells less like old person now that I've vacuumed and taken a bottle of carpet refresher to it!

Our living room slightly resembles a UPS store room. Boxes are everywhere, and it's only gonna get worse! Tomorrow we're holding a pack-a-thon and we're putting away anything and everything that's left. Unfortunately, there's a decent amount of "anything and everything", so tomorrow is gonna be a long one.

I've also got a doctor's appointment tomorrow. It's a followup that I've rescheduled a few times, and Monday and Tuesday were the only days they could fit me in before the office closes for a few days. Throw in some grocery shopping to get us through the week and you've got a day that I'm already calling "busy as hell" but I know it will be worth it in the end. Once we are officially in the house, we can unpack slowly and really make ourselves at home.

My parents, sister, and cousin stopped by yesterday to see the house, and so did Graham's mom and sister. No one had seen the inside except for my father-in-law, and that was in October! I didn't really get to talk to mom-in-law and Mary, but they really seemed to like the house. Mary is already talking about the parties we're going to hold, and mom-in-law really liked the yard.

My dad was really surprised by the house. I'm not quite sure what he was expecting, but he really, really liked the house. My mom was pleased, and my sister thinks it's pretty damn cool that we have a house of our own. While the basement is currently unfinished, my dad is already planning the basement renovations he wants to make. With two bars and a lot of raw space downstairs, he's thinking Super Bowl parties and pool tables.

Truth be told I wouldn't mind slipping into the Thanksgiving rotation with my family, or taking over Christmas for my parents. I'd actually really look forward to the challenge! We'll see how things are looking next fall, and whether or not the basement is painted and/or insulated (I think that's the most important step next to the painting, just because it gets so cold down there!) and we'll talk more seriously about holding a big family party. In the meantime, we've got a kickass yard to garden and plant, so we'll definitely be holding a summertime gathering or two!

Today we're going to the annual Foley Family Christmas Party. Graham's aunts take turns hosting the party each year, and this year it's being held at his Aunt Linda's but hosted by his Aunt Colette (she has a condo in Sycamore and it's just not big enough to hold everyone). It's always a good time, and it's a party I look forward to all year. I can't wait to see my cousins-in-law again.

Anyone free tomorrow to help pack? We'll provide beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. For serious.