Donorbox

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

About the house...updates...kinda

No *real* news on that front. We were told last week that "hopefully by Friday" we'd know something one way or the other. I didn't call Thursday, and I called late Friday afternoon but wasn't surprised when there wasn't any news.

Yesterday and today I called. Yesterday there wasn't any news, and today I heard that the underwriting was finished, but we weren't given a clear to close because the underwriter had some conditional things to get cleared up, mostly on the seller's side. AGAIN there's a question about the seller's ability/right to actually sell the house, so our processor said she'd get the ball rolling. She'd called our attorney AND the seller's attorney to get that paperwork in. She also said that once the conditions are met there's usually a 48 hour turn-around. However, she spoke to the underwriter/person in charge of our file (whoever that might be) and said she's asked for a 24 hour turn-around. She was very clear in saying she couldn't promise anything, but that the 24 hour turn-around looked likely.

So that's where we are. I may never do this again. Definitely not with this bank, that's for sure. Graham and I have discussed at length how we'll never recommend our lending officer to anyone, regardless of how he's friends with the realtor and offers discounts to the realtor's clients, etc. This back and forth is just ridiculous. I'm exhausted with it all.

However, to anyone who does need to get the ball rolling on their home paperwork....give me a call! I'd be glad to yell at someone for you. I'm very good at it.

Our anniversary is next week, and thanks to all this stress with the house, neither of us are feeling like celebrating (especially if we aren't closed by our anniversary). Graham's cousin had her offer on a home accepted a month after ours was accepted and she's set to close on our anniversary. If she closes before we do, I can't promise I'll be happy about it. I'm glad they've finally found a home--hell, they were looking long before we even started--but it'll definitely be bittersweet that they've closed on their home and can move in and celebrate the holidays worry free and we can't. Jealousy is an ugly thing, man. I'm trying not to let it eat at me, but this is getting old and it's hard to not just be angry about the process.

If there's anything I'm really angry about, it's that our November was a complete waste of time. We were supposed to close and move in and start taking down panels in the living room and tearing up carpet. I'm frustrated because for at least a few months it'll feel like we're living in someone else's house. We won't be able to do anything to it because we'll have no time between the holidays and moving. All the small renovations we wanted to do--even painting--will have to wait until Graham's off in March, and then it's only 3 weeks that we have to do some of the projects we have lined up.

It won't be terrible (I hope), but it won't be what we envisioned. It won't be anything close to celebrating Christmas "at home" because we'll have boxes stacked up and piles of junk in the basement. We've started Christmas shopping, and moving while we're trying to hide one another's gifts should definitely be interesting.

Right now, I can't wait to get in there. I can't wait to box up all my stuff and move it and call the cable guy and just be done with feeling like we have to put our lives on hold. I probably won't hate the panels and old carpet completely until after Christmas and we've settled in and it's too late to do anything about it until spring.

So that's where we are. Nothing new (naturally), but we're closer than we were a month ago. Hell, we're closer than we were two weeks ago, and that makes a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. For serious.